Jurjen de Korte joined the firm in 2017. Previously, Jurjen worked at the Amsterdam office of Stibbe, the Abu Dhabi office of Herbert Smith and at Eversheds Sutherland in Amsterdam, where he was a shareholder and partner. Jurjen graduated in Dutch law at the Utrecht University (1998) and completed a master of laws degree at New York University (1999). He is admitted to the Dutch bar (1999), New York State bar (2001) and has rights of audience at the DIFC Courts (2010). Jurjen has extensive experience in cross-border litigation and arbitration with particular focus on international commercial arbitration. He has handled disputes in a wide range of sectors, including construction, automotive, oil and gas, M&A and banking and finance. He frequently publishes and lectures in the field of international arbitration and private international law. Jurjen is a member of the Dutch Arbitration Association, the Corporate Litigation Association, the Dutch Civil Procedure Association and the American Bar Association.
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Litigation
- defending the former owner of a major Russian bank in proceedings for the recognition in the Netherlands of Russian court judgments of more than RUB 32 billion and USD 500 million
- representing the Canadian department store chain Hudson’s Bay Company in multiple court proceedings with Dutch lessors over competition law violations and claims in excess of EUR 250 million
- representing a number of Gazprom group entities in multiple court proceedings against the Ukrainian gas company Naftogaz and relating to enforcement of a Swedish SCC arbitral award with an interest in excess of USD 2.6 billion
- representing a Caribbean trading company against a Dutch shipbuilding company in a multimillion euro arbitration abroad
- acting for a US Receiver to collect damages for more than 900 victims of a USD 50 million online fraud involving ING bank accounts
- representing a Russian bank on the enforcement of a EUR 65 million LCIA arbitral award against the former owner of a Croatian supermarket chain
- representing the majority shareholder of one of the world’s largest trading houses in an ICC arbitration and binding advice proceeding concerning the valuation in excess of EUR 600 million of shares after exercising a put option
- representing a Scandinavian maritime transport company against a Belgian construction firm in an arbitration concerning the subsidence of a site for the storage and cleaning of chemical containers in Moerdijk
- representing IATA in court proceedings against 180 European travel agents, a Hungarian bankruptcy trustee and a Russian state owned bank to distribute EUR 14 million in assets following the bankruptcy of Malev Airlines
- representing Solvers Group (previously Onexim) in a number of proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court and Court of Appeal against the Russian bank PSB concerning control over Svyaznoy
- representing Nicolai Maximov in various proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court seeking enforcement under the New York Convention of a RUB 9 billion ICAC arbitral award, set aside in Russia, against the international steel company NLMK
Chamber & Partners Global (2021): “Jurjen de Korte regularly undertakes shareholder and insolvency-related disputes for a clientele spanning aviation, financial services and retail sectors. Clients describe him as a “very practical lawyer”.” Chambers & Partners Global (2020): “Jurjen de Korte is “very hard-working, efficient, responsive and gives good advice,” praises one client. He represents clients in financial litigation, as well as advising on contractual and construction disputes”.
Legal500 (2021): “Jurjen de Korte has a personable style with clients and a robust approach to counterparties, a combination which works very well in litigation cases.’”and “Van Oosten Schulz De Korte Advocaten has substantial arbitration capability, particularly in practice head and ‘fantastic lawyer’ Jurjen De Korte, who ‘always delivers punch where and when it is needed’. He led advice to Gazprom Dutch Group entities in relief proceedings in relation to its $2.6bn dispute with Naftogaz”
Legal500 (2020): “The arbitration team at Van Oosten Schulz De Korte specialises particularly in CIS-related disputes concerning debt collection, and is also frequently instructed by Russian clients. The firm is acting for Sberbank in connection with enforcement of a claim in excess of €65m against the owner of th failed retail chain Agrokor and Konzum. Other noteworthy clients include Turkish Airlines, Gazprom Dutch Group Entities, and Kenya Airways. Practice head Jurjen de Korte is ‘very responsive’ and ‘always thinks at least one step ahead to serve the client’s interests’”.