Jurjen de Korte joined the firm in 2017. Previously, Jurjen worked at the Amsterdam office of Stibbe, the Abu Dhabi office of Herbert Smith and at Eversheds Sutherland in Amsterdam. Jurjen graduated in Dutch law at the Utrecht University (1998) and completed a master of laws degree at New York University (1999). He is admitted to the Dutch bar (1999), New York State bar (2001) and has rights of audience at the DIFC Courts (2010). Jurjen has extensive experience in cross-border litigation and arbitration with particular focus on international commercial arbitration. He has handled disputes in a wide range of sectors, including construction, automotive, oil and gas, M&A and banking and finance. He frequently publishes and lectures in the field of international arbitration and private international law. Jurjen is a member of the Dutch Arbitration Association, the Corporate Litigation Association, the Dutch Civil Procedure Association and the American Bar Association.
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Litigation
- defending the former owner of a major Russian bank in proceedings for the recognition in the Netherlands of Russian court judgments of more than RUB 40 billion and USD 505 million
- representing the Canadian department store chain Hudson’s Bay Company in multiple court proceedings with Dutch lessors over competition law violations and claims in excess of EUR 250 million
- representing a number of Gazprom group entities in multiple court proceedings against the Ukrainian gas company Naftogaz and relating to enforcement of a Swedish SCC arbitral award with an interest in excess of USD 2.6 billion
- representing a Caribbean trading company against a Dutch shipbuilding company in a multimillion euro arbitration abroad
- acting for a US Receiver to collect damages for more than 900 victims of a USD 50 million online fraud involving ING bank accounts
- representing a Russian bank on the enforcement of a EUR 65 million LCIA arbitral award against the former owner of a Croatian supermarket chain
- representing the majority shareholder of one of the world’s largest trading houses in an ICC arbitration and binding advice proceeding concerning the valuation in excess of EUR 600 million of shares after exercising a put option
- representing a Scandinavian maritime transport company against a Belgian construction firm in an arbitration concerning the subsidence of a site for the storage and cleaning of chemical containers in Moerdijk
- representing IATA in court proceedings against 180 European travel agents, a Hungarian bankruptcy trustee and a Russian state owned bank to distribute EUR 14 million in assets following the bankruptcy of Malev Airlines
- representing Solvers Group (previously Onexim) in a number of proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court and Court of Appeal against the Russian bank PSB concerning control over Svyaznoy
- representing Nicolai Maximov in various proceedings before the Amsterdam District Court, Court of Appeal and Supreme Court seeking enforcement under the New York Convention of a RUB 9 billion ICAC arbitral award, set aside in Russia, against the international steel company NLMK
Chamber & Partners Global Partners (2022): Jurjen de Korte represents clients in a number of contentious matters, including bankruptcy, relief and enforcement proceedings. An interviewee reports that he “pairs very high intellect and academic expertise with strategic insight.” Jurjen de Korte also represents clients in fraud allegations, commercial disputes and administrative litigation. (2021):“Jurjen de Korte regularly undertakes shareholder and insolvency-related disputes for a clientele spanning aviation, financial services and retail sectors. Clients describe him as a “very practical lawyer”. (2020): “Jurjen de Korte is “very hard-working, efficient, responsive and gives good advice,” praises one client. He represents clients in financial litigation, as well as advising on contractual and construction disputes”.
Legal500 (2022): “Hard-hitting, always delivering, very responsive and exceptionally smart. Any opponent is ill-advised to underestimate this team, and we always enjoy working with them on a variety of matters. Exceptionally active on Corona-related matters, such as a number of high-profile actions against the State related to Covid-testing and an application to the Supreme Court on corona-induced rent reductions. The agile and close-knit boutique of OSK has clearly made great strides during the pandemic. OSK has remained modest, even though they play in the big league. They genuinely enjoy their work and are keen to deliver and win. They have proven to be game changers in difficult matters. Jurjen de Korte is an excellent and seasoned disputes lawyer, and very experienced with international clients particularly from the CIS-region; a sharp and independent thinker, and an absolute pleasure to work with”. (2021): “Jurjen de Korte has a personable style with clients and a robust approach to counterparties, a combination which works very well in litigation cases” and “Van Oosten Schulz De Korte Advocaten has substantial arbitration capability, particularly in practice head and ‘fantastic lawyer’ Jurjen De Korte, who ‘always delivers punch where and when it is needed’. He led advice to Gazprom Dutch Group entities in relief proceedings in relation to its $2.6bn dispute with Naftogaz”.